The Unpublished Years; Part One

Sometimes the older girl read to the younger one and their baby brother and sisters. … the way she turned the pages of a book while holding it up so the pictures could be shared was ever so gentle. The dry pages rustled only a little, a tiny window opened with each flip of a page, and a whole world unfolded.

— Kao Kalia Yang

The Years Before Being Published

Today, as I was bouncing off the walls of my living room, picking up pieces of paper from the floor, shaking out the throw rug at the front door, sitting at my desk, scanning chapter one of my new book over and over, getting up and dusting the floor, I thought about what my writing partner, Susan Hilt suggested and  I came up with these few ideas for when I am unable to focus.
Think about the characters.  It is about the characters.  Everything they do and why they do it must be attached to their personality and struggle not to me, the author’s idea of what they should do.  I can write the author version much more easily, but this month I have been struggling with getting closer to my characters and trying to keep the writing focused on what and why they may do or say something.  It is not as easy as it sounds and I think it’s because my focus is so often interrupted by my desire to procrastinate.  I don’t always have the energy to face my demons as I sit down to write and often find my desire to polish my boots, or run to the store to buy a gift for a friend’s birthday or clean the toilet far more compelling than re-writing a page I have re-written about twenty some times.
It is easy to think my writing has gone sour, when, in fact, I am only trying to go deeper into developing something new.  I don’t always recognize it and it is only this month that I have stopped berating myself with the mantra that my writing is awful, I don’t know what made me think I could write, I haven’t an original sentence or thought in my writing  – on and on I go until I wear myself out.  This month I have begun to see and hear my mantra and every once in a while I caught myself and was able to change it to I am a developing writer, learning the craft of writing.Dreaming
My strength is in my effort not to quit.  That is the only difference from a writer and anyone else.  I won’t quit writing, even when I think my writing is bad, even when I don’t think I can ever finish a book, even when I wish I could stop writing, even when each sentence is incredibly boring.  I think I learned this month that writing is like cooking a meal.  The only way you’ll be able to eat some days is to cook something.  The only way to become a writer is to keep writing.  This month I don’t quit.  I tell myself it is only when you quit that you will not be a writer.
How do you develop the craft of writing?  I once took writing classes at the Loft, but this month, after looking over the offered classes, I decided I wasn’t going to take any classes.   I needed the time to focus and integrate things I was learning into my writing.  This month I wanted to curb my my dependency on classes and learn to trust myself.  I wanted to fall in love with my characters, but as I sat, day after day with them, I began to resent their demands on my time and attention.  I went to bed thinking about them, woke worrying about them, ate lunch bored by them, by supper I hated them.  This month, I allowed myself to take a break, and this month I learned it was okay to take a break.  I always thought if I stopped writing for a day or week I would never finish my book, especially since I am often pulled from writing by the needs of daily living and relationships with children, family, friends.

Advertisements

13 Responses to “The Unpublished Years; Part One”

1. 1 Tanya Eby May 18, 2011 at 5:40 am

Hi, Betty! I love your new website. It’s clean and easy to look around on. And this is a great post. I especially loved this thought: “The only way you’ll be able to eat some days is to cook something. The only way to become a writer is to keep writing.”

I think we can all relate to the questions of if we’re really a writer or not. You are. Keep at it. And I hope you find a publisher for your book, because I want to read it.

• 2 booknbetty May 18, 2011 at 9:09 am

Tanya – Your a wonderful surprise. I’m so glad to hear from you and to hear such kind words of support. Thanks you so much. I’d love to add your blog to my list of blogs if that would be alright. I am so enamored of you, your writing and your great insights.

Have a good writing life today,

Betty

2. 3 Tanya Eby May 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I’m smitten with you too. 🙂 In fact, if you ever want a pair of fresh eyes on your books, I volunteer.

It would be great if you added me to your blogroll. I’ll add you to mine as soon as I find some time to update it. Ugh.

3. 4 taruhan bola May 4, 2014 at 3:24 am

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written
    and include approximately all important infos. I would like to look extra posts
    like this .

• 5 Betty LaSorella May 4, 2014 at 11:38 am

Dear Taruhan – I want to thank you for your kind interest in the article I wrote for my blog. I will be doing more of those articles but I’m trying to finish my second novel and am writing a blog about my time working with students in Kenya. But I feel it is important to share with other writers who are beginning to write, that it is not easy to write when you are not yet published. I think we hear from writers after they are famous, so I wanted to fill in the times when one is struggling and continues to keep working.

Again, I thank you for your interest and kind words and I will try soon, to have more of this kind of article done, if only for your eyes.

Ciao,

Betty

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 3:24 AM, BettyLaSorella.com wrote:

4. 6 agen judi May 6, 2014 at 9:38 am

Good article. I definitely love this site. Keep writing!

5. 8 338a May 8, 2014 at 2:52 am

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness
    of precious knowledge on the topic of unexpected emotions.

6. 10 agen bola terpercaya indonesia July 21, 2014 at 2:48 am

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
    updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was
    hoping maybe you would have some experience with
    something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look
    forward to your new updates.

7. 11 Olahraga November 10, 2017 at 1:16 am

I do believe all the ideas you have offered to your post.
    They are very convincing and will definitely work. Still,
    the posts are too quick for novices. Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time?
    Thank you for the post.

8. 12 Betty LaSorella November 10, 2017 at 9:19 am

Olahraga – Hi

Thank you for writing. I will be happy to prolong the posts and I am glad you gave me such interesting feedback. I will be adding some new writings soon. I have been away from the blog because of family health issues but have my next book, the sequel to the first started and will share the first chapter soon.
    Bett